The church started in 1904 in Mount Road, a short distance from our current site; and in those days it was called Sladebrook Gospel Hall. The main driver behind this venture was Mr F S Bryant, and such was his dedication to the task that he constructed all the woodwork in the building himself! The church was a small independent fellowship of Christians who took their direction from the Bible under the guidance of God.
After the second World War, the expanding church membership became too large for the original small hall. The current building in Englishcombe Lane was therefore constructed to accommodate the fellowship; and soon after moving in 1958, the name was changed to Sladebrook Evangelical Church.
Further growth led to the addition of an upstairs room in the early 1970's, providing additional space for the Sunday School and other activities.
In 2004 we celebrated our centenary with a weekend of activities, including a packed church on the Saturday afternoon for a service of thanksgiving to God. Visitors came from far and wide to join in the fun!
In October 2008 we celebrated 50 years in our current building. As well as an "open house" with memorabilia and group photographs, we held a special family service on Sunday 19th October. You can listen again to the Jubilee talk.